Builders Log

Total Hours: 875.90

08/11/2013

Build Hours: 4

Not as nice as yesterday but still good to work. Ironed out the glued surfaces then the rib bays next. Came back and using a hot iron, smoothed out the winkles then hit the bays again. Used a 350 degree iron to work out a stuborn wrinkle and ended up scorching the fabric. No too bad but you can see the mark. Used a soldering iron to open up the screw holes and access holes. tried the ends and ended up melting part that I didn't want to. Will try again being extra careful next weekend but may end up recovering the ends.

Ailron ironed

Add Comment
08/10/2013

Build Hours: 4

The weather was really nice this morning. I cut out the fabric to cover the ailerons and started on the right one. Cut the fabric 12 feet by 30 inches and put the second piece in the fabric box in my bedroom to use on the left aileron. Glued the fabric to the underside of the trailing edge but decided to trim off 1". This was a mistake because I then couldn't glue over the top when I was done. Used scrap to cover the ends and then trimmed short. I think on the left side, I leave long and then glue down on the part that will be covered by the trim paint.

aileron covered

Add Comment
08/04/2013

Build Hours: 1.5

Did very little work this weekend. Cleaned out the garage and moved the fuselage and wings around so I could start covering the wings. 

 

Removed the aireron and re-glued a rib that came lose. That all I did until the heat became too much.

Saturday was also a sad day at Falcon Field. Arizona Aviation closed it's doors. Sad to see good people lose their business due to greed and policy and hurts local businesses. 

Add Comment
07/28/2013

Build Hours: 4

Went to Ace on Saturday and bought some new saw blades for the jig saw and a couple hack saw blades for cutting the leaf spring. On Sunday, put the new jig saw blades on and dulled them in about a minute and din't make a dent in the steel. Tried the hack saw blad and had better luck but had to now work for it. Put the fan on me and cut one end off and then the other. Set up the grinder the cut the angle on the part the connects under the fuselage. Got half of it done and got too hot and had to quit. Later, I finished the other half and rounded off the end. Looked good but I was too hot again. Went back to Ace at 4 and got a dozen washers to act as spacers for the new leaf spring. After dinner, put on the leaf spring and tail wheel. It now sits a little highter then the old one but doesn't lose it's bend when I sit on it. 

Leaf spring

leaf spring

Add Comment
07/14/2013

Build Hours: 8

This weekend was SLIGHTLY cooler. Was able to apply the second coat of Ultra White on Saturday morning on the sides of the fuselage and the bottom later that afternoon. I marked and applied the painters tape for the stripe Saturday night. 

Sunday morning, I applied the first coat of green for the stripe against the slipstream. Sunday afternoon, I applied the second coat and them some touchups on the green to hide any white showing through. Sunday evening, I removed the tape.

stripe on fuselage

Still has some cleanup to do. Some brush strokes went outside the tape and some paint went under the paint. The curve was hard and more paint slipped under the paint. I'll look at doing that next weekend.

Add Comment
07/07/2013

Build Hours: 3.5

Well, it's been a while sense I hve been able to work on the airplane. Went to Lake Tahoe for the last week of June. Then the temps were hovering in the high 100's to low 110's. Too hot to work for very long. While on vacation, the HOA [grrrrr] wrote our landlord to say they could see our recycling canister from th road. Actually, they could see the handle. But, apparently, that was too much. So I spent all day Saturday building a privacy fence. The landlord liked it. 

privacy fence

Sunday, I has some time to put the first coat of Ultra White on my fuselage. Had to go to Ace to get some more Floatrol, Ultra White color, and new brush. Didn't get started until after 10 and the temps were already in the high 90's. Did the top and sides before lunch and the bottom after lunch. I'm going to start really early next weekend. Too hot to work on it when I get home in the evening.

Add Comment
06/21/2013

Build Hours: 1

Put the second coat of primer on top of the airplane. Wanted to make sure the plane was protected before we go on vacation.

Add Comment
06/20/2013

Build Hours: 1.5

Applied the first coat of primer to the top. Been really good painting weather. Taking advantage of it now before it gets hot.

Add Comment
06/16/2013

Build Hours: 2

Covered the top and sides of the cabin today. Did the top this morning and sides this afternoon. Still need to use the wood burning iron to finish the edges and remove th holes on the side.

Top covered

Add Comment
06/15/2013

Build Hours: 1

Woke up early this weekend to work on my airplane. Painted the underside of the fuselage before I went to the airport. After it dried, it turned the fuselage right side up. Ran down to WoodCraft in Gilbert to get some more T-88.  Filled the leading edge of the cabin, sanded it smooth after it dried, and took a picture looking down the tail from the cabin. 

painted under side

Inside looking back

Add Comment