List of entries for Covering

05/07/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 4

Finished painting the door and put the hardware back on it. Decided to replace the supports bolts with hardened steel bolts and the screws to #4 sheet metal screws.

Door placed in opening with painting finished

hardware back on door

Add Comment
05/05/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 0.25

Applied a second coat on the stripe.

Add Comment
05/04/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 6

Covered the door using the technique I used on the landing gear. I really like it and seems to be saving me a lot of glue and MEK. I'll need to rememer it when I have to recover the airplane in the future. Almost finished painting it and started on the first coat on the stripe. 

Door almost finished painting

Add Comment
04/29/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 1

Spent the evening removing the hardware on the door and sanding the finish where the glue will be applied when I cover it.

Add Comment
04/20/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 3

Finished painting the legs and started to put the landing gear back together. Realized that for the bolts that commect to the lets is regular steel bolts. I will feel more comfortable if I use hardened steel instead. I'll look at getting these bolts this week and finish puting the landing gear back together.

Add Comment
04/15/2014
Covering

Build Hours: 4

After a several month rest, I began working again on my landing gear this weekend. Covered it with fabric last weekend and applied the first coat of primer this weekend. The method I used to glue down the fabric was the same method used on the wings. I applied a layer of glue on the edges of each landing gear leg. I then placed the material over the glue starting with the outside leading edge and wet it down with MEK. With my gloved hand, I smoothed down the material to try to remove any winkles and bubbles that I could working a 3 inch section at a time. I then turned over the the leg and continued around the piece until overlapped the starting point and finished on the inside of the leading edge of the leg. I feel that this give it a more finished look by hiding the ends underneath the leg and out of view.

Add Comment
11/03/2013
Covering

Build Hours: 5

Second coat of primer is now applied. This coat is applied with the airflow. I applied the first coat starting on the bottom, let it dry, flip it over and do the top. For the sedond coat, Sanded with 600 grit paper until smooth. Applied the primer with the airflow on the top, let it dry, flip it over, and apply to the bottom. 

Second coat of primer

Add Comment
11/02/2013
Covering

Build Hours: 5

Painted the first coat of primer on the wing. I paint the wing against the airflow on the first coat making sure all the cloth is covered to the best of my ability.Try to keep it as thin as possible.

First coat of primer

Add Comment
10/27/2013
Covering

Build Hours: 5

I finished stitches the obstructed ribs. Karin decided to sit out in the garage and do her bible study while I worked on the ribs. I was really nice.After she was done, we walked over to the yogurt shop and had a yogurt together.

After stitching all the ribs, I covered them with pinking tape. I first applied a layer of glue down that extended about 3/4" off each end. I then applied the pinking tape and, using MEK, we the material down and smoothing out with my gloved hands. I then continued down the length of the rib and cut the tape about 1/4" from the rear edge. Was able to get both sides of the wing taped.

Taped wing

Add Comment
10/26/2013
Covering

Build Hours: 5

Today, I decided that I would mark the rib stitches and punch the holes for the thread. I made a mistake marking the rib stitches right off the bat. But, it was easily corrected. The correct way, and the way I did it correctly, is to mark off 1/2 S from the leading edge of the rib for your first mark. S = 2 1/2 inches in the prop wash and 3 1/2 inches outside the prop wash. I marked my changes on the material with a plus sign. 

Marked rib stitches

After I marked the correct rib stitch locations by the ruler, I went back and moved the stitch locations where an obstruction would be. I then went back and marked a "O" on all the ribs the had the compression ribs in place. 

I then went back and punched out the holes for the thread with the tip of my pencil. On punch was a little larger then I wanted but it worked out fine in the end.

rib stitch thread holes punched

I was surprised how fast that went and decided to start stitching my unobstructed stitches and see how far I could go. I was surprised that I was able to get all my unobstructed ribs done. I remembered that the trailing edge on all but one of the ribs was unobstructed so I stitched those as well.

Rib stitches for the unostructed rib

I was actually able to get a couple ribs on the top with the curved needle for the obstructed ribs as well. My back was hurthing me, so I had to stop.

Add Comment
1 - 1 of 9 First | < Previous | Next > Last