Builders Log

Total Hours: 875.90

09/08/2013

Build Hours: 5

The bottom panel has a lot mor working parts than I first anticipated. Put on the leading edge bracket and put the patch on. After church, ironed it smoooth and turned the wing over. 

After lunch, Glued in the acess holes and drain grometts and glued the side and rear edging on. After an hour, ironed everything smooth. Put the wing back on the wing rack and I'll do the top side this next week.

Add Comment
09/07/2013

Build Hours: 3.5

Worked on finishing up freeing the aileron. There now is a 1/16" clearance all around it. Check full range of motion and I feel comfortable to start covering. Trying a new method I saw in a video that David Cooper sent me. Going to paint the glue on the surface first, then lay the cloth on top of it, and finally paint MEK through the material to losen the glue. 

Put the material on as the video suggested. Worked pretty good. I'll need to go back and touch up the ribs where it didn't stay glued. Shrunk the panels and put the center brackets back on. Made a patch and covered the rear bracket. Looks really good. 

Add Comment
09/02/2013

Build Hours: 4

Worked on trying to get the Aileron not to rub on the wings rear. Not as easy as it sounds. Very hot and I can only work for short bursts. Also, it's a long weekend so family is trying to do things as well. I took of the wooden support I made for the brackets. David Cooper sent me a video about how to do this and that work was a waste of time. He way is easier. I'll see if I can put more time in next weekend. 

Add Comment
08/26/2013

Build Hours: 2

Painted my last coat of white on the aileron. Painted the green stripe and put on the hardware. Put the aileron on the wing rack and moved things around in the garage to make room to cover the wings. Put the fuselage on the sawhorse so I could use the bench I made. Removed the fuel tank on the right wing. Need to varnish the fuel tank bay before I cover it. 

Add Comment
08/25/2013

Build Hours: 4

Took off the wax paper and sanded down the repair to match the shap of the leading edge. Put a patch of fabric over ti and then took the iron to it to shrink ti tight. Applied two coats of primer and one coat of white before it got too late to continue.

Add Comment
08/24/2013

Build Hours: 4

Covered my second Aileron today. I was flipping it over when it dropped off the stand. Thought it was ok until I started shrinking the fabric and noticed a hole in the leading edge next to rib #5. Looks like it caught the wing rack when it fell down. Finished shrinking the fabric except for that bay. Cut off the fabric on the leading edge to expose the cracked leading edge. Made some filler out of epoxy glue and wood flour. Put the mixture over the entire crack, covered with wax paper, then 1/32" plywood, then used packing straps to mold it into the correct shape. After 4 hours, removed the straps and filled in a void that still existed. covered with wax paper and repeated. I'll check it out in the morning and sand it down to the correct shape.

Add Comment
08/19/2013

Build Hours: 1

Have the stripe on and can now start working on the left aileron.

stripe on aileron

Add Comment
08/18/2013

Build Hours: 1.5

Two coats of color on. Now I'm ready for my stripe.

Color on aileron

Add Comment
08/17/2013

Build Hours: 1.5

Covered my aileron with primer. Forgot to sand between coats but I think it will be fine.

Aileron primed

Add Comment
08/13/2013

Build Hours: 1.25

Recovered the ends of the aileron. Really happy on how it looks now. Hopefully the weather will be good enough to start painting it this weekend.

Add Comment